Saturday, May 5, 2007

Freedom!!!-Sorta



I finally have a car. This is my fourth week and I now do not have to rely on the bus or the generosity of fellow diggers to get me around. I can go where I want to go, when I want to go, and stay as long as I like. Starting Monday. Right, Monday. See, I was supposed to get the car Monday but that is a bank holiday in England. So they dropped the car today. Great get my car early and start traveling around, right? Wrong. The car sits in the car park until Monday because that is when the insurance starts. So just a couple more days. The car is a Vauxhall. I think that is English. It is roomy-I've had a seat in it. And it is perfect for the roads around here which are no where near as big or have as many lanes as we have in the States. The main roads here are often two lanes. The motorways are four lanes and are equivalent to something like U.S. highways instead of Interstates. The best part about getting a car here is they drive on the wrong side of the car, on the wrong side of the road and I don't have to put anything on my car that says "Watch out, American on the loose!" Look out Northumberland I have a car!!!!.....on Monday.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Yay! Now you will be able to drive around and visit all your favorite Roman sites as often as you like. But watch out for crazy speeding lorries . . . and not so speedy sheep!

Matthew said...

Luckily the sheep and cows are generally too bored to wander off and use the roads. But speeding lorries are not. They start at dawn, and that's 5.30 am here right now. They make a great alarm clock.