Wednesday, April 18, 2007

April 18




This was a great day digging. Pete and Amy have continued down in their end of the trench and have found a drain just to the north side of the cobble patch. The drain is next to Pete in the picture. But the find of the day was the stone altar I found just before lunch. The altar is the long bit of stone just below my hand in the first picture. The altar has some great stone work done at the focus but may have been thrown into the ditch I am excavating because the column chipped and has another fracture in the stone. Unfortunately no inscription was carved but it is still an altar and I was grinning from ear to ear! I've been revealing more of the posts in the trench and continue to pull up bits of black burnished ware and different forms of samian ware. Enjoy the pictures.

5 comments:

KBeast said...

Wow, Matt. It looks like you're going to find cool stuff everyday at this rate. I doubt that you could smile any bigger than in that altar picture. I am glad you're having fun in such a savage land...

Anonymous said...

These pictures are great! Almost feel like I am there with you. Looks like the weather is holding for you, too.

Matthew said...

The dig has been great. The weather has took a turn though, and it rained at the end of the day yesterday and through the night. So we were doing turf and topsoil removal today and hope to get back into the good bits on Saturday. Thanks for the comments.Matt

Aable said...

Savage land! I do protest. Seriously Matt, even though the natives lack the technological capacity to carry firearms, the Welsh longbow is a fearsome weapon.

Take care,
Stuart
"God Save the Queen"

Anonymous said...

improved search engine ranking seo services uk backlink service quality backlinks